Monday, June 17, 2013

Guston

via: Tate
"The hooded figure represents both the artist himself, hooded and disguised, shrinking from the self-revelatory nature of artistic expression, and the evils of contemporary society. Explaining these figures, Guston later said:
‘They are self-portraits. I perceive myself as being behind the hood. In the new series of ‘hoods’ my attempt was really not to illustrate, to do pictures of the Ku Klux Klan, as I had done earlier. The idea of evil fascinated me [...] I almost tried to imagine that I was living with the Klan. What would it be like to be evil? To plan, to plot.’ (Guston quoted in Philip Guston Paintings 1969-1980, exhibition catalogue, Whitechapel Art Gallery, London, 1982, p. 54.)
The public response to these works when first exhibited was largely negative."